Saturday, November 19, 2005

Ownership of Ideas is Wrong

After reading a certain article a little while ago, I realized something that I never saw clearly before: that all creative content should be available free of charge. Videos, music, books, articles, academic papers, computer software, video games, medicinal formulas--you name it: the world would be a better place if all of this were free. I might have known that intuitively before, but I didn't see the solution to the problem of putting food in the mouths of people who write software, write books, direct movies or compose music.

Now I do, and I plan to write about it if I can find the time and the energy.

In the meantime, The Guardian has an article about the trouble with intellectual property, especially with patents. It's a good overview.

No comments: